Saturday, November 2, 2013

10B; Creativity Investigation

       “Don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.” 
― Rumi

    Agreeing with Ken Robinson, I really do feel that everyone is born with creative ability and potential. Contrary to popular belief, creativity may include but is not limited to the arts. This includes things like dancing and painting. But what about people who stretch and idea further, people who create new ideas and improve old ones? Are they considered “creative”? And why are we even concerned with creativity?
This week’s readings and discussion in class really opened my mind to a different view of creativity in that I learned it is more of a way of thinking differently, not just making art. It is crucial that we instill creativity in our daily lives because it is something awaken new possibilities and also distinguish ourselves from the rest of the population. For example, in today’s world, as Ken Robinson mentions, a degree is not as flashy as it was before. Therefore, when going for a job interview and competing with someone else who obtains the same credentials as you, creativity is a way to define who you are and prove that you would be the better candidate to hire. Also, I found interesting that failure was an important part of the creative process which seemed completely backwards to me at first. Our discussion in class pointed out that private failures are essential so that you are constantly resetting and challenging your goals. Even though failure altogether is painful, it can force us to take risks and test new ideas. This is where the issue ascends in that we are so afraid to fail, especially in the work force which completely negates failure that we end up staying in our comfort zones and not taking many risks at all. This goes for children at school too because it could be deterring the learning of creativity and potential ideas could go unnoticed forever all because we don’t reward the testing of new ideas enough. Is taking a risk part of creativity?
With all of this being said, when I am faced with superior intelligence or talent, I try to fully engage myself and have an open mind. These help me to hopefully become inspired and try to connect with these people as much as possible, even if I think there is none. An example of this is when Chris Herren came to speak at Southern. Other than being a phenomenal speaker, his story was filled with tragedy, addiction, and heart-break. Thankfully this is not what my life entails, but I was able to be inspired by him, transform the way I see my capabilities and essentially connect with his message. This also happened when Sonia Sotomayor came to speak. I read her memoir over the summer and thought there was no way I could connect with her but after listening to her speak, I had a stronger drive to accomplish anything to the best of my ability, and to not let negativity bring me down. Inspiration is the spring board to creativity and increases your well-being as mentioned in the “Why Inspiration Matters” article.
The first creative moment I can remember was in kindergarten when my parents had to attend school conferences for my brother and me. I was home with a babysitter who wouldn’t entertain me so I decided to come up with my own idea to pass the time. Strutting upstairs to my room, I shut the door and carefully placed my stuffed animals in a few rows. I then proceeded to take out some story books that I was capable of reading, and also more difficult ones, and pretended that my room was a classroom and the stuffed animals were my students. This not only helped to cure my boredom, but also practiced my reading skills. My audience only included the inanimate variety of bears, bunnies, pigs, and dolls, but it was the start of a new way of thinking for me. Although a small glimpse of creativity, I was able to improvise with the dreaded time that my parents left and invent a new activity for myself.

How actually important is creativity? Will children’s creativity continue to be destroyed or come alive in the years ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment