Thursday, November 14, 2013

12V; Many Disciplines

“Things are only impossible until 
they're not.”
—Gene Roddenberry
                Here at Southern, there are courses offered that are titled “Interdisciplinary” and I was never too sure of what they consisted. From this week’s readings and discussions in class, I can conclude that Interdisciplinary Perspective are two unlike things which share the same context or content. College gives you the opportunity to be exposed to many different disciplines, or fields of study, to ensure a citizen who will have a broad range of knowledge. This goes along with the larger goal of obtaining a liberal arts education in that these multi-disciplines will increase understanding and have a deeper academic perspective. As we saw today in class, these aren’t about voicing everyone’s opinion, recognizing that they are different, and calling it a day. Taking these opinions and working through them to agree with someone else’s point of view, or even just seeing where they are coming from is this perspective which will enhance our learning.

                A new word I learned this week is an adjective, multifarious, which means, “having great diversity or variety.” In my opinion, Southern is a multifarious community that I am proud to be a part of. Also, bailiwick, a noun meaning, “A person’s specific area of knowledge, authority, interest, skill or work.” In a few years, it is my hopes to have my bailiwick of Speech-Language Pathology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment