Monday, November 25, 2013

14B; I am Thankful for...

     Giving thanks is one of my favorite things to do as it is often times linked with happy feelings and feeling lucky or appreciative. I can say that during this semester here at Southern, I have countless things to be thankful for and I am glad we have the opportunity to reflect in that I do think it is important also.
                First and foremost, coming from a close knit family, I knew from the start of this journey that I would have the most trouble being away and not getting to do every family-oriented thing with them. Although it was an adjustment, I am so very thankful to have my family right by my side, even if it is not physically. They have shown tremendous support throughout this semester by checking up on me, sending surprise care packages, and still making me feel as I am still included.  With this, I am grateful to be far enough away from home, but close enough to be able to go home and see them every once and a while. I cannot wait to see them and share the holiday with them. That, and the healthiness of them all, is more than I could ever ask for.

                Also this semester, I have come to the realization that an education is not guaranteed for everyone and that I am so fortunate to be able to attend college and have such a positive experience which will help me throughout my life. I take my studies and learning very seriously and I am thankful to have professors, staff, and peers supporting me along this college journey. I learn so many new things each day, even about myself, that I couldn’t have anywhere else and I am also grateful for that. An example of this would be that I have noticed my reading abilities have gotten a lot stronger since I have been completing a variety of reading assignments in each class. This was one of the things at the beginning of the semester that I specifically pointed out I wanted to work on. So, between completing little goals I set for myself, and growing my knowledge, I am thankful and lucky to be attending a school where I belong. Furthermore, here at school, I have met so many new people. I would describe Southern as a completely new environment with a diverse population and a lot to offer. But somehow, I can fit in here and have met some of the greatest friends and I wouldn’t trade that for the world.

                Looking at everything I just mentioned, I really do not have much to complain about and could say how lucky I really am. I appreciate every day I am given along with the good health. I am grateful for the roof over my head and food and clean water available for me. I am thankful for the overpowering love I receive each day from my family, boyfriend, and friends. I hope everyone enjoys their holiday break and takes a step back to realize how gratified they actually are. 

Lastly, I want to give a special thanks to all the soldiers in the armed forces for continuously protecting us and fighting for our freedom each day, and especially Christian, Jesse, Shane, Tommy, Brandon, and James. We love you and are so proud of you, stay safe.
How can we give thanks everyday, not just on the holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment