“There's no advantage to
hurrying through life." -Shikamaru Nara”
Who knew that the best part of a s’more could bring about new ideas, conflicting theories, and different ways in which we go about our lives? Resisting it for fifteen minutes can actually foreshadow our future success! Prior to discussions this week along with readings, I had zero idea about the definition of delayed gratification. I knew that delaying something obviously meant to slow it down, but gratification was a new word to me. Now, I am able to confidently say that gratification is the state of fulfillment and therefore delayed gratification means to wait for this satisfaction. I always think of a complete opposite example to delayed gratification, which would be fast food. Fast food is an enemy of many people here in America as it gives great instant gratification, but leaves you with a terrible “reward” further along down the road such as feeling sluggish and weight gain. With willpower and motivation, we can have the option of saying no to that delicious Big Mac, and spend time cooking a healthy, more enjoyable meal.
This week, the word paradigm came
up in two of my classes which really stood out to me. Paradigm is a noun which
means, “A set of forms all of which contain a particular element, especially
the set of all inflected forms based on a single stem or theme,” or can mean, “An
example serving as a model; pattern.” One example would include social
networking as it represents a paradigm shift in communication. An additional word
I came across this week was finite. I never made the connection to the word “infinite”
until this week, so I wasn't surprised when the meaning in the dictionary said,
“having bounds or limits; not infinite; measurable.”
No comments:
Post a Comment