"Patience is not the ability to wait, but the ability to keep a positive attitude while waiting"
The American dream, to be successful. No matter who you are,
everyone would like to reach the point of their opinion of “success.” But how
is success measured and how can we achieve it? In this week’s video of Joachim
de Posada, he makes a very blunt statement, “the most important principle for
success is the ability to delay gratification.” Delaying gratification involves
the ability to resist temptation of an immediate reward for a bigger reward in
the future. This form of extrinsic motivation was tested in the Marshmallow
Test which consisted of three, four year old kids tested as to how long they
could wait until eating the marshmallow placed in front of them. If they could
wait the full fifteen minutes, they would get two marshmallows, a better
reward. But to a four year old who has no concept of time and feels like they're waiting forever for what they want, it is much more difficult to resist. The
results of the test were that only one-third of the children were able to wait
the amounted time, which is not surprising in the least bit. Furthermore, the
researchers followed up on those who participated in the experiment and found
that the low-delayers had lower S.A.T scores, behavioral problems, and even
drug problems. When I first read this, it was a very shocking correlation
because it seemed a bit extreme that a marshmallow test could actually predict
future life success. This is where I found the “Just Let Them Eat the
Marshmallow” article intriguing. It carefully detailed the statistics saying
that of the five hundred fifty original participants, only ninety-four
children’s S.A.T. scores were actually collected and a vast majority did not
participate in the original experiment. It also questioned the validity of the experiment and saw the test as more of an ADHD test. This article also went on to say that
the time avoiding the reward had zero correlation to IQ or self-control at age
eighteen. Although these articles contradict each other, the idea of
self-control, self-discipline, and delayed gratification are explored.
In
general, I would describe myself as an impatient person as I do not like to
wait. But as I think about my life and life-goals, I begin to rethink this
analysis about myself. Enrolled in a four year university, I never looked at
school as “waiting” to finally get my degree. Although I am thrilled this will
be the end result, I feel as though school is part of my normal routine and I
truly enjoy having the opportunity to further my learning and grow as a person.
This may be because of a growth-mindset I have towards school or maybe my
ability to delay gratification. Both of these I believe come from both being
born with it and also from the nurture I have received up until this point. The
support I get from my parents especially, teachers, and colleagues is more than
I can ever ask for and really keeps me going. As I apply the daily willpower I
instill, I take each day to complete tasks thrown at me, while also looking at
the bigger picture and realizing I have four years to finish.
Another reason I would re-think my
patience level is the fact that my boyfriend currently goes to school in
California. He moved a few years ago and I have had to wait a year each time to
see him. Although we talk daily, the instant gratification is not there. With
effort and willpower, I know the end “reward” will be completely worth it. As
Americans, we thrive on instant gratification as technology is a huge part of
our everyday lives. We are so acclimated to just typing something into the
internet and getting our answers, instantly. Ever since our phones have become
computers, this has an even bigger impact on us. Now the phone companies even
have “express plans” so customers have to wait a shorter time for an upgrade on
their phone. To improve our ability to delay gratification and make it more
readily practiced in society today, it should start in the home. As discussed
in the “Don’t! The Secret of Self-Control” article, parents should be establishing
rituals daily such as, saying no to snack before dinner or saving allowance.
If delaying gratification really is
the secret to success, it must be practiced from when we are young,
strengthening our willpower, and resisting that urge to eat the marshmallow. Patience
truly is a virtue.
How can we improve delayed gratification?
Can we learn to delay or is it something we are born with?

No comments:
Post a Comment