Tuesday, October 22, 2013

9I; An Evening With Sonia Sotomayor

                On Monday, October 21st, I had the privilege of attending “An Evening with Sonia Sotomayor.” Having read her book and actually seeing her on stage in front of me was just a unique experience and I am glad I attended. A few things that stood out to me that she said included that life was not focusing on the negative, but finding the positive. This really struck me because often times we are too caught up in everything bad going on in our lives that we happen to miss the positive things or positive lessons also going on. One example of this that I can think of is when my grandparents passed away. As anyone would be, we were so devastated to see them go and miss them every single day. But to find positivity in that, they had such great lives full of accomplishments and legacies to live on in our families and we can thank them for shaping our family into the way it is today. With that said, I like her quote because I really stress the importance in trying to have a good attitude every single day because only good things can come out of it and the negativity will not tear you down.
                Another topic that Sonia brought up was the value of friendships. She says that your true friends are the ones who will push you to learn about the world, and more importantly, learn about yourself. I think this is also crucial to remember especially in college now, we need to seek friends who will only lift us up and not bring us down. They could be the ones to make you self-evaluate or keep you on your toes and the ones you can go to to talk about any struggles you are having.

                It was a great opportunity to listen to Sonia describe her achievements as well as her hardships and I think she is definitely a role model that many, many people can look up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment