Saturday, October 26, 2013

9B; So Far So Good

    Remembering back to my first ever blog post, I referred to how hard my heart was pounding and the overwhelming butterflies in my stomach during move in day. As we now move in to the second half of the first semester, it is a crucial time to find what is working and what isn’t.
Midterm grades were posted in Banner this past week, and I was actually shocked at how pleased I was with them. Personally, I have always been the type to be so critical about myself and especially in school with my grades, but I feel that my hard work and dedication to my education this semester has paid off so far. My midterm grades are as follows: A, A, A-, B+, and B. These grades are pleasing in that they are contributors to a good GPA and also a proof of putting school work first. The first few weeks of school I can admit that social aspects were overtaking and I found myself focusing on being with friends more than learning and doing my work. After a quick reality check, I realized my purpose here at Southern was to get an education and swiftly turned the other way.
Over the course of the first half of the semester, my successes have been completing my homework faithfully and putting in my best effort into completing various assignments. I feel I have been able to set a good amount of time in each day to work on school work and manage my time efficiently. As I look back, I also can say that I have truly retained a lot of information over the past few weeks here at Southern and it is crazy how intriguing and good it feels to learn college level material and obtain college level thinking. With all of these good habits being said, I can definitely still work on my study skills. During my advising meeting, we discussed going to the Study Skills Enrichment Office or even tutoring to see what they have to offer. I can only benefit from taking the extra mile so I plan to take advantage of these services. Also, my reading still isn’t up to where I want it to be. I really need to focus on reading the book for history as it will support and embellish the professor’s lecture and I will be able to retain the notes I took down in the lecture. Another way of going about this is to make a skeleton outline ahead of time so I know what to expect and have foreshadowed what we will be learning.
Looking ahead, I want to set a few attainable goals for myself. Gradually, my participation has been getting better in that I feel there is no reason not to participate and it really makes the classroom environment more dynamic. I will get more out of what we are discussing in class and be able to remember my thought process and comments, as well as my peers’ opinions while engaging in the classroom. Furthermore, I would really like to keep my work ethic and motivation up because completing all of my assignments is obviously working in my favor and enhances what we learn during class. A new strategy I can try, however, is to start my assignments ahead of time so that I can manage my time better and take time to really think about the assignment so I fully learn what needs to be learned.  
I am excited to see what the second half of the semester brings for me and how my new strategies will play out. I am also interested in how far I can actually push myself to do and might be able to surprise myself!

How can our strengths help to pave the way to success? What are ways to make sure we are striving to be the best we can be? Are your eyes always directed on your goals & dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment