“You don’t have to see the
whole staircase, just take the first step.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.
As I could feel my heart pounding
and butterflies kissing the lining of my stomach, I got out of the car on
move-in day and quickly realized I was not in my little hometown of South
Windsor anymore. Loud screeches and voices of excitement filled the air walking
up to my resident hall and colors of blue and white along with smiles and
unsure faces were all I could see.
College is simply the place we go after
successfully completing high school, to ensure the improvement of our knowledge
and gain skills we will carry with us for a lifetime. But the message I have
gotten through these last few days of presentations from various people, is
that college is most definitely about the outcome of a degree being earned, but
also about the learning process along the way. From this, I want to be able to
take my peers opinions and ideas into consideration more often and follow their
thought process to develop my ideas. Another goal I have set for myself should
be very painless to accomplish here at Southern. We are part of such a diverse
group of students and faculty and I would like to make sure to meet and learn
from as many dissimilar types of people as I can. This way, going out into the
real world, I will be able to understand or at least consider many diverse
points of view and be able to relate to someone who I may think is someone I
have nothing in common with. Of course being a freshman comes with
nervousness and fear of the unknown but I know that as long as I acquire the
ability to manage my time efficiently, keep an open mind, and take every day
individually while managing a positive attitude, the learning will not be far
behind. With this in mind, how will we as individuals, as well as collectively,
decide to lay our road to success?

No comments:
Post a Comment